Saturday 23 January 2010

my own chow chow-der

I'm very proud to say that I made this Seafood Chowder from scratch and it is more or less my own recipe as well. The hubs is down with fever today and don't really have an appetite. So I thought I'll make a tasty chowder for him. Was researching for a recipe and most of them I found either took too long or had too many ingredients. So I improvised and came up with my own and again we were both pleasantly surprised. This definitely wet the sick hubs' appetite and he slurped up every last drop of it! So I shall share the recipe of my simple Seafood Chowder recipe with you. Ingredients (serves 2)
  • 50g frozen crab meat, defrosted
  • 10-12pcs of medium prawns, peeled, de-veined and diced into small pieces (not too tiny tho)
  • 2 slices of bacon, diced into small pieces
  • 1 medium potato, diced into small cubes
  • 1 carrot, diced into small cubes
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/8 bar of butter
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 2 cups prawn stock
  • 2 tablespoon of pure cream
  • seasoning: salt, pepper & dash of dried mixed herbs
Method
  1. Make the prawn stock. Submerge prawn heads in a pot of water, bring to boil then simmer for about 30mins.
  2. In a separate pot, heat butter with a dash of oil (adding a dash of oil will ensure butter will not be burnt) and sauteed the onions till translucent. Then add bacon and fry for about 2mins.
  3. Add in carrots and potatoes, stir and coat in the butter, onion, bacon mix. Then pour in the wine, bring to boil and simmer to reduce till about half of the liquid remains.
  4. Now add in the prawn stock and seasoning. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for about 15mins or till carrots and potatoes are soft but not mashy.
  5. Add in the seafood and simmer for about 10mins. Stir in cream, thicken with bit of cornstarch (optional), dish into bowls and serve hot with freshly cracked black pepper. Enjoy!

No comments: