Tuesday 19 January 2010

under my paella, ella, ella...

Watched this show on tv last xmas where celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey cooked a 3-course xmas special dinner. He made this seafood paella that looked soo yummy! The hubs then suggested I try to make this for our xmas eve dinner rather than the usual meats, since we'll be eating lots of it on xmas day. So I gave it a shot and despite not being able to find the right type of grain, I have to say the outcome was amazingly close to and even better than some of the ones we tried at some Spanish restaurants. Here's the simplified recipe. Ingredients
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic clove, chopped
  • 400g paella rice (Arborio)
  • 125ml dry white wine
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • pinch of saffron thread
  • 1 ltr veg stock
  • seafood selection of your choice - for me it was mussels, prawns, fish & scallops
  • 1 lemon cut into wedges
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
Method
  1. Heat oil in large pan, add onion, cook briefly.
  2. Add pepper, garlic, season with salt and pepper, cook till soften.
  3. Sprinkle paprika and saffron, add in rice and stir well so that each grain is well coated.
  4. Add wine and allow to evaporate before pouring in the hot stock.
  5. Cover with lid and leave to simmer for 20mins. Stir occasionally to prevent rice from sticking.
  6. 5 mins before end, add seafood, stir and replace lid.
  7. Before serving, mix through and garnish with lemon wedges. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Janalin said...

Hey Fern! Im late in my comments on your posts. I was passed out from hunger (just by looking at your posts) and it took a while to awaken and wipe the slobber from my mouth. Furgedderbout what the others say about your puns.....BRING THEM ON! I LOVE puns.....just makes people smile. LIke limericks the more idiotic the better! :)

Your paella is so do-able. I love your simplified version. Some recipes read like novelettes...what a put off.

Your cupcakes.....are they on sale....have i asked you this before? Sorry....they look lovely.....

Love your cutlets and shepherds pie. Must try them out one fine day. I think your photo presentation is very creative....you know how some food blogs make the food look so static....well yours don't, yours look like I can scratch and sniff them! I WISH!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing all your recipes. ;)

Fern Green said...

million thanks Jan! yes i don't really care about those who can't take my corniness cos that's who i am and this is MY blog wahahah! as i was telling brian it's the headline that gets the attention so corny or not as least it gets everyone's attention haha! and also it's not easy to constantly keep coming up with these titles hor :)

Fern Green said...

oh i forgot to answer ur question abt the cupcakes. very pai sei to sell cos i'm not that pro. will only sell to friends and ardent fans like yourself hehe! u want to order ah? let me know what flavour, qty and when u want them. if my schedule is clear will definitely do it for u!