Sunday 30 May 2010

of birthdays and breakfasts

Two things that I love are birthdays and breakfasts. Birthdays simply cos we should celebrate the day we came into this world and are still alive and kicking! Breakfast cos it's the first meal of the day so we should make it the BEST meal.



So this long weekend was my mother-in-law's birthday. We hosted my in-laws together with my folks at our house. I whipped up a 3-course meal consisting of Creamy Asparagus Soup with Bacon and Cheese Scones, followed by Braised Lamb with Mash and wilted Baby Spinach. But the highlight of the night is dessert. I made a Forest Noir Swiss Roll served with brandy-soaked cherries! Was so happy that the roll was a success as this was the first time I did this by myself after my baking course. Shall let the photos speak for itself.



Now to breakfast. I've recently discovered a simple cheat's croque monsieur. It's really simple to make but oh so delicious! Here's the simple recipe so you can wake up to a satisfying brekkie too!



What you need
  • 2 slices of thick soft bread
  • 4 slices of ham
  • handful of grated cheese (any kind you fancy)
  • dijon mustard
  • butter
Let's cook
  1. Heat a skillet pan over high heat
  2. Spread the dijon mustard on 1-side of both slices
  3. Top on 1 slice cheese, ham then cheese again
  4. Cover with the other slice
  5. Spread butter on both sides of bread and put onto hot skillet
  6. Fry till brown and serve hot

No comments: